The PTA is ready to host its 3rd annual Earth Day of Service this Saturday, April 6th from 10a-12pm!
Plan to take some time with your family and make a really big difference at the school. Meet by the climbing playground.
Hope to see you there!
Last year, the beautiful weather brought out 65 volunteers—including school parents, students, siblings and teachers—who cleared the school grounds, and especially the stream and surrounding woods, of more than 750 lbs. of trash. Some highlights:
- 20 full bags of trash and recyclables
- Approx. 250 lbs. of scrap metal (including an old downed power line, gutters, several rusty sign posts, and a big barrel)
- A few volunteers spent much of their time picking up tiny bits of broken glass in the picnic area below the back playground
- Plastic drink bottles, cans, straws and food packaging were the biggest offenders!
- And tons of old sports balls: tennis, baseball, lacrosse, playground balls
- There was a surprising amount of scrap metal that had been ditched in the woods and stream bed
Attendees learned about the impact of trash on local waterways and the efforts of the Green Committee and the Green Towson Alliance to tackle this and other environmental issues.
The group also got tips on actions we can take in our daily lives to make an impact. After collecting trash, volunteers placed their haul next to signs indicating which of these goals their family would commit to. Here’s what they said they’d do:
- Plant a tree -10%
- No more plastic straws – 50%
- Use reusable shopping bags – 5%
- Recycle more – 25%
- Make a rain barrel – 10%
For pictures of last year’s event, check out the Earth Day Photo Album!
Show everyone your creative spirit!
The PTA is again sponsoring the 26th edition of Gold and Blue and Creative too!, the creative art and writing publication that showcases the work of Stoneleigh students. We are calling all students to submit a personal creative work to the collection, theme or topic is student’s choice. The works will be compiled into a book to celebrate Stoneleigh Elementary students’ creative minds! Every Stoneleigh student will receive a copy of the book, so don’t miss your opportunity to play a role in this exciting publication!
Write a story, a poem, a song, or draw a picture! You decide.
- Submit written work, art, or art accompanied by a written work.
- Maximum one page entry per student.
- Team/group submissions allowed.
- Scan your work and submit online or turn in paper copy.
- Questions: email@example.com
- Submission deadline is Monday, March 4th, 2019.
Show us what is amazing from a country or culture that you love. Is it Samosas? Latkas? Share an ancient paper folding craft or teach how to write “Hello!” in Urdu. Whatever it is, we want to learn about it! It can be the country you or your family is from or one you simply want to learn more about.
- Decorate your assigned 6ft. table to celebrate the country you are representing.
- Include a display/poster with information about your country and the food, craft, or items you are bringing.
- If you are bringing food, please provide enough for 150 bite-sized portions, the PTA will provide 1 oz sample cups, tasting spoons, napkins, and plastic gloves for serving. This is just a suggestion, so if you can’t provide 150 portions, please bring what you can.
- If you are bringing a craft, please bring supplies to allow guests to try if possible.
- Ideally we would like your table remain on display for the entire event, but if you are unable let us know so we can work within your time frame.
- Set-up time is between 9am-10am Saturday, February 23rd in the Gym or Cafeteria. Table assignments will be provided day of.
Turn this form into your teacher or the school office. Questions?
The Winter Greens Sale is rapidly coming to a close! This year, there are no paper forms so you’ll need to order your Winter Greens online. You can even indicate if you’d like them delivered! Pick-up and delivery are on December 3rd, NOT at the Craft Fair. Pick-up in the school lobby the day of OR delivery will be later that same day.
Purchase Order Form: